- 4 tablespoons slated butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ cup vodka
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz)
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh Mozz
- 2 cups (16oz) ricotta cheese
- 1 box penne pasta
- Basil (optional for serving)
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, garlic, and red pepper flakes over medium-low heat, stirring often, until butter is melted. Add the vodka and bring to a simmer. Add the crushed tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, and a salt and pepper. Simmer the sauce over medium heat until reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add salt. Add the penne and cook until desired texture is reached. (about 4 minutes for al dente, 6 minutes otherwise). Drain pasta and run under cold water.
- When the pasta sauce has finished cooking transfer it to a blender and purée until smooth. To reduce thickness, add some of the reserved “make-water”.
- Heat the oven to 425ºF.
- Transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add the sauce and parmesan and stir to combine. In a medium bowl stir together the heavy cream and ricotta.
- Transfer half of the pasta mixture to a 9×13-inch baking pan. Top with the ricotta mixture, and half of the fresh Mozz, spreading to cover evenly. Top with the remaining pasta. Scatter the remaining Mozz evenly over top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Garnish with basil and serve immediately.
Make the freshest mozzarella at home with Big Mozz virtual mozzarella classes
If you haven’t signed up for one of our mozzarella making classes yet – what are you waiting for? Make the freshest mozzarella you’ll ever eat with our wide variety of class offerings. Live and on-demand – all classes are virtual and include a cheese-making kit shipped to your door. We can’t wait to see you at our virtual event.