Caprese Appetizer with Homemade Mozzarella is a great way to start off your Big Mozz party! Classic and adaptable, and when paired with your own Big Mozz mozzarella it’s #amozzing. Add this easy to make spritzer and your party has launched.
Matt’s Happy Place: Caprese + Spritz
One of the core responsibilities of Big Mozz’s managers at outdoor events and music festivals is to make sure our hard-working kitchen crew stays hydrated. Cooking at home is no different: The chef must hydrate. And with that important responsibility in mind, here’s how to make the trusty best friend of home cooks everywhere: the Aperol Spritz.
The Spritz is a ratio drink, which has two distinct advantages over complicated cocktail recipes: it is easier to remember, and can be scaled to any size glass you feel like you need in that particular moment. In a glass filled with ice, we will use three equal parts of:
- Aperol, Campari, Lillet, or other sweet/bitter/delicious orange-colored liqueur.
- Prosecco, or any other sparkling wine. In a pinch, substitute really cold, crisp white wine.
- Soda water
Give it a gentle stir, and garnish with an orange or lemon round, and a sprig of rosemary.
Now we can begin cooking.
So, you are having friends over for the first time since March, or you are hosting a Big Mozz Party over Zoom and want to show off your skills. What better place to start than the all-time classic of mozzarelladom: the caprese salad.
We’ll make this a little more share-able by using a mix of smaller cherry or datterini tomatoes. We love the ones from Camporosso Farms, which you can find at the Union Square Green Market; but hey any ripe tomato with a lot of acidity will do. We’re also going to add in bigger tomatoes cut into wedges, to give our appetizer a more interesting texture without much more work.
- Join a Mozzarella Making Class (or host a Big Mozz Party with your friends) and make the best fresh mozzarella you will ever have in your life.
- Assemble your ingredients:
- 1 pint mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds mixed medium and large tomatoes, preferably heirloom, cut into slices and wedges
- 8 ounces Big Mozz mozzarella, room temperature, torn into pieces
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Small basil leaves and toasted country bread (for serving)
- Flaky sea salt to taste
Toss cherry tomatoes with 1 Tbsp. oil in a small bowl; season with salt.
Arrange tomato slices on a platter, slightly overlapping; season generously with salt. Arrange mozzarella over tomatoes, and season with flaky sea salt. Spoon cherry tomatoes over salad and drizzle the remaining olive oil; season with pepper. Let stand 15 minutes to let flavors meld and release juices from tomatoes and mozzarella.
Garnish with basil and additional salt and olive oil, if desired. Serve with toasted bread alongside.