When you love mozzarella, but not the dairy. Here is a simple vegan mozzarella recipe made from cashews. It has all the stretchiness and all the cheesiness of mozzarella while being completely plant-based!
- 4 Tbsp Tapioca starch/flour (this creates that awesome Fresh Mozz stretch)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Water to soak the cashews in
- ¼ cup plain unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (this makes it taste cheesy!)
- ⅓ tsp of salt
- Soak your cashews overnight in cold water. If you can’t soak your nuts overnight, you can soak them in very, very hot water for 1 hour.
- Blend cashews, tapioca starch, yogurt, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt on the highest setting until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain. Taste the batter, and if you feel like the mixture needs to be kicked up to 11, add more salt and/or nutritional yeast to enhance the cheesiness.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan/pot and scrape the edges of the blender to get all of the mixture out. Turn on a low/medium heat and begin whisking.
- Whisk the cheese mixture for about 4-5 minutes. The mixture will begin sticking to the sides and bottom of the saucepan, and that is okay! You will see the mixture start to slightly bubble and begin to thicken, and clump together.
- Next, switch to a wooden spoon and begin mixing the mixture until it forms a loose ball/giant clump. There will be some cheese stuck to the side/bottom, and that is okay. If it didn’t come together with the rest of the ball, you can always use it as a cheese spread for crackers!
- Your Vegan Mozz is now ready! Hooray! Transfer your cheese into another bowl and put it in the refrigerator, or eat it right away. The Mozz lasts for a week in the fridge or one month in the freezer.